Karen Strauss <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:48:45 -0400
A while ago, I posted a message to this list about a number of sites
bouncing mail from my list because they were refusing the return address. I
got a few responses, mostly along the lines of "why bother." I want to
bother because it is a continuing problem and because I really like to know
how and why things work the way they do. Now I am getting bounced ack and
confirmation messages when some subscribers post or try to change
subscription settings. I think their ISPs have switched mail server software.

I think I have the why figured out -- someone please let me know if this is
right -- I think that because the address of my listserv installation (on
Windows 95, but I hope to install the NT version soon) wraps to two lines
(see the following example) that some mail servers are unable to deal with
it and use only the first line, which is just the text description of the
address. The mail from the list doesn't bounce because the From: field is
populated by the email address of the sender, which is typically much
shorter than this. So, I am right?