Vickie Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 09:20:40 -0400
"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Most LISTSERV lists' definitions retain the default LISTSERV
> feature of PREVENTING the sending of duplicate messages.

Yes, our lists do prevent duplicates.  Fortunately, though
we are getting blamed by a substantial group of subscribers,
it appears not to be Listserv causing this directly.  Unfortunately
this makes it harder to fix.

> Once upon a time there was a problem here on PSUVM where
> duplicates were being sent, but it did not only involve LISTSERV,
> but user-generated e-mail too.  It had to do with (as I recall)
> reordering of SMTP queues at the worst possible time.

It's hard for me to say if user generated mail is involved, as I don't
know how to send a test case through there.  This past night it happened
again. When the Digests went at midnight, those that passed through
tigger.cc.uic.edu on their way to someplace else multiplied into
several copies.  It's also happening with individual pieces of
list mail that go through tigger, though it seems to be worse
with the digest mail that gets sent out at midnight.

I've heard from a couple of other list owners, so it's not just our
group of lists.  I'm just hoping that when the folks at UIC get
back to work (just about now) they will understand about
SMTP queues.  I wrote to the postmaster at tigger, but I don't know
how fast they'll respond.

Insights as to what can cause multiplication of messages for
several days in a row continue to be welcome.

Vickie Banks
H-NET Technical Assistance