Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 May 1996 18:47:32 -0400
On Mon, 6 May 1996, Patrick Douglas Crispen wrote:

> Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> commented:
> > The thing  though is  that it  costs a  lot less  resources to  deliver a
> > typical newsletter by e-mail than over  the web.
>
> Yeah, but woe betide the listowner (and, for that matter, the listmaster).
> Just think of the bounce messages that a 140K person list would generate,
> even at one message a day!

  That may be true, but those who request and often use these
services (LISTSERV vs. WWW) don't know or realize the resources
being used.  All they know is they want a list for outgoing mail
and they want the security or options that LISTSERV provides that other
software cannot (e.g., usenet or www).  We have run into just that
problem here and neither usenet nor the www can provide what some faculty
want/need.  Granted, with www you can put in a .htaccess file, but
you can't put in multiple .htaccess files to handle most of the requests
we get here.  And usenet, forget it...the functionality for multiple
restrictions that LISTSERV provides doesn't come close in most
news readers.  I don't think you can escape the graded security
restrictions/functionality in an academic environment so easily.
We as system techs know what goes on behind the software because we
get the errors, but those we are providing the software/services for
do not.  And let me tell you, many don't care. :-)

  This is where we are, and those with LISTSERV, WWW, and Usenet can
only provide those that request "a list" with the options and let them
decide what they want.  Unfortunately for us, their choices are not
so black and white, so they choose LISTSERV, and I have to develop
a very strong delete key finger. :-)  Let us face it, in this environment
you have to please a facutly member who doesn't want someone who teaches
the same course at University X to see his/her "stuff", but locally
it is ok, except dept. X....or maybe just the students of a particular
course...or only permit student in a certain class to see it....or
no one at all...or just who they "ok".  They are our clients, and we
are providing a service....they come first regardless of errors that
I have to delete.

  I don't negate what you are saying, I am just saying that what
software is being used in an academic environment should be client
driven, though we try to lead as much as possible, ultimately, what
they opt for is up to them....regardless of how many errors I have to
delete every day.  Hey, it is better than setting up a .htaccess file
for hundreds of passwds for a faculty on the www.   I don't even
want them to know that is possible. :-)

  Sorry about the length of this...but I was...compelled. :-)

--Trish