"Michael L. Wyland" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:48:50 -0600
At 11:24 AM 03/22/2001, you wrote:
>I am receiving an increasing number of complaints from our AOL customers
>that they are not receiving the emails that we send out.  We use ListServ
>with the mail-merge feature to generate daily update emails to our
>customers.  I have checked the SQL statement and verified that they are
>included and have checked the bounce log file and verified that they were
>not bounced.  I  am not really sure what to do.  Is anyone else experiencing
>this same problem?  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
>Lenny

Lenny:

At CharityChannel we have been getting similar complaints.  Some AOL
customers are not receiving some CharityChannel messages -- it's very
intermittent and isn't (apparently) affecting all our AOL-based subscribers.

The following information may or may not be related:

It''s not just our imagination! AOL's spam filters are indeed blocking
legitimate mail:

http://computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO58808_NLTpm,00.html

 From the article:

-----------------------------------
"In a statement today, an AOL spokesman, said the filtering software mostly
did its job; it blocked spam.

"One of our top priorities is protecting our members from spam, and as part
of that effort, our system automatically shields our members from those
servers that are sending significant volumes of spam. A small percentage of
EarthLink servers fell into that category, but we've worked with EarthLink,
and that issue has been resolved," he said.

EarthLink's servers weren't the only ones blocked, the spokesman said. The
software monitors all Internet e-mail coming into AOL."
------------------------------

We reported this problem to AOL support when it was first reported to us
several weeks ago.  [The AOL customer contacted customer support, who said
that we (as the mailer) had to report the issue.  So we did.]  Thus far, no
response.

I don't know what can be done.  AOL has a legitimate interest in protecting
its subscribers against spam, and it needs to configure its spam filters in
such a way that legitimate e-mail gets through.

I'm sometimes tempted to advise my subscribers to use another service or
account, but we have a LOT of AOL subscribers.  Also, as I said, they do
have a point about needing to block spam.  I wonder if L-Soft has has any
recent (or not-so-recent) contact with AOL on this?

M I C H A E L   L.   W Y L A N D
Chief Operating Officer
CharityChannel.com
CharityChannel LLC