"Vosswinkel, Kerry" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 May 2003 17:19:52 -0600
Pete, I'm guessing you were replying to Sherry's response to my original
message, but the list definition in my case does not have the keyword
ATTACHMENTS in it at all - there is no special handling for any type of
attachment.  The attachment problem is intermittent - most of the time
attachments go to the list fine, but occasionally they disappear.  The same
user can be successful in sending an attachement one time and fail another
time.  The same attachment can be sent successfully to one list (with an
identical configuration but fewer subscribers) but fail when sent to the
other list.  The same file can ALWAYS be sent to a user directly, bypassing
the list.

I don't know if the attachments are being posted as multipart/alternative or
not - mostly they disappear "in transit" and I can't tell exactly where it
happens, but it looks like Listserv never sees the attachment.  One example
I have of a successful attachment used multipart/mixed, and it was a Word
document just like the one that disappeared, so I don't think it would have
been multipart/alternative.

Thanks,
Kerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Weiss [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 1:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: attachments are disappearing

At 13:25 04/24/2003 Thursday, Sherry Anderson wrote:
 >First, I was happy to hear that someone else is having the same problem we
>are; however, I was sad to see that a solution has not been attained.  >
>We are also experiencing problems with subscribers sending email with
>attachments that are not making it.  However, our problem is limited to two
>of the three listserv owners.  The other listserv owner and all other
>listserv subscribers can send attachments to the listserv successfully.

What does the list definition look like esp. the keyword ATTACHMENTS? e.g.,
are certain kinds of attachments being allowed/excluded?  Are the
attachments being posted as multipart/alterative ?

Is some a/virus filtering occurring by the outbound MTA? e.g., can the
list-owner who is having difficulties email the attachment directly to you
(bypassing the list processing)?