Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 13:55:35 EST
> >> One does not add people to the list if they do not wish to be on it and
> >> one allows those who wish to leave to do so, *immediately*, not in a
> >> month or so.  They want off, they get off *NOW!*
> >
> >What you say is generally true, but there are exceptions.  One example
> >is where the management of an organization wants to be able to send
> >email to all employees.  As long as you are employed there, you don't
> >have the right to unsubscribe from such a list.
>
> Then you TELL your employees to remain subscribed to the list and make sure
> they know how to do so.

Well, we just rebuild the list periodically from the data in our email
directory.  It's simply not practical or cost effective to conduct a
major education campaign for 24,000 people just to keep them from
unsubscribing from the staff announcement list.  The periodic
rebuilding of the list from the directory is also how we track the
mailboxes added, deleted, and changed, rather than building a whole
separate mechanism for the LISTSERV list.