Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:55:34 EDT
On Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:15:21 -0400 C.A.Smith said:

>I'm just getting into listservers and don't understand how to set one up
>yet. Why is it doomed from the start to have a dynamic ip?  It's not going
>to be a very big list, at least not from the start. I'm going to keep it
>small, while I'm learning, and then advertise it a little when I'm more
>comfortable with it.

You need static IP because other hosts have no other way to know where
your machine is.  If the IP address changes every time you log on, you'll
never be able to get mail.  Think of it in terms of what would happen if
your street address changed every day.  How would you get your mail?

(Five demerits to anyone who says "but the postman knows where I live".:)

On the other hand, are you sure you want to "run a server" as opposed to
wanting to "run a list".  These are two completely different things.  If
all you want to do is run a list on someone else's server, naturally
you don't have to worry about static vs. dynamic IP.  There are plenty
of commercial list hosting sites that will be glad to host your list
and let you maintain it via email.

Nathan