Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:48:43 -0500
There's a proposal under discussion in SPAM-L to establish a MAPS-like
blacklist for "open-loop" lists.  What this really means is anybodies
guess, but I've confirmed with the author that a Listserv list with
"subscribe=open" qualifies... *even if send= [log in to unmask]*
because a subscription could be forged and the valid postings would be
UBE to the victim.  What I'm unclear of is, what are the effects of the
DISTRIBUTE mechanism in all of this?  Do Backbones (in the worst case for
this scenario) distribute to regions/domains outside of themselves?
In terms of _risk_ could an inept postmaster see [log in to unmask] being
delivered via some IP of a regional backbone outside his own domain and
accidentally cut off all lists distributed through that site to his own
domain?

And, yeah... I think this is an insane proposal for a lot of reasons aside
from this one, but right now I seem to be on my own.

                                                  -Kary

Note: Really.  The author is insistent that the blocking be done by IP
without *any* information about the mail being blocked being available
to the blocker.  As an aside, SJU doesn't dictate to its owners how they
"should" configure their headers, so a single "impure" act on any one of
our lists will result in cutting off the other 600+.  This whole thing
sounds like a stupid prank by a Troll to me, but nobody else seems to
be commenting against it.