Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:02:51 -0400
At 15:14 9/4/97 EDT, you wrote:
|The vast majority  of Temple's students commuters who visit  campus only when
|necessary although there  are long-range efforts to change  that. The problem
|I want  to discuss here  is the process for  finding out what  each student's
|e-mail address is for  those students who are enrolled in  a course where the
|instructor  uses a  Listserv list.  The instructors  prefer to  subscribe the
|students to their respective lists so that  the students don't need to do so.
|This is done  so that students can  receive each message that is  sent to the
|list. The problem  is in finding out which student  has which e-mail address.

Though PSU has a searchable (by mailto:[log in to unmask] or PH client query)
directory, there is NO guarantee that the data or forwarding email address
is valid or actually read by the individual.

IMHO unless the students subscribe themselves, all bets are off, UNLESS you
have stringent procedures for maintaining and using such a centralized
directory with centralized userid assignments.

I've found that many university users who *switch* email systems don't have
proper e-mail configurations and are confused on their own proper email
address.
--
mailto:[log in to unmask]          Tel: +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg;  University Park,  PA   16802-1202 USA