"F.J. Kelley" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:48:47 -0400
I am the owner of one part of a peered list.  Occasionally, I will receive
word of this and other times I will see a post rejected by some site for
"too many hops".
Here is what seems to happen:
1- duplicate...the post was posted to the listserver here or at one of the
other sites.  The organization is a 3-point star, with 4 peers:

        3    4
        |   /
        |  /
        | /
         2

         1

Occasionally, mail posted to one of the peers (say 4) will be delivered to
another node (say 3) by the LSoft servers.  Some still seems to go via
node 2 to subscribers at 1, 2  and 3.  So the original poster gets a
message back saying the post was rejected as a duplicate.  I assume this
is done to relieve congestion?  It is a source of some confusion for the
subscribers.

2- This also adds to the hop count for posts and some mail is rejected for
"too many hops"

I don't think there are too many peered lists anymore, so I doubt too many
are seeing this.  But I did wonder if my understanding of the routing and
such was correct.
-- Joe Kelley