Adam Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 15:36:18 -0500
On 3/31/00 10:53 AM, Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote...
>On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:27:12 -0500, Tom Rawson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>                Last error: SMTP; 553
>>                            <[log in to unmask]@DOMAIN.
>>                            COM>. .. No such user
>
>This is a case where trying to be anonymous works against you.  There are a
>couple of forwarding services (iname.com is one) that seem to be having a
>lot of this trouble lately.  If we could see the real domain involved it
>might help diagnosis.  But yes, it is a bad mail server somewhere else that
>is mangling the address in the error report.  Set  Auto-Delete= No in the
>List Header and process the errors manually for a day or 2 and you will see.

I've mentioned this before, but would help if there was another way of
accessing the original error messages. I manage a large mailing list that
only sends out posts every two weeks (which are generally in excess of
50k) and generally receives 200 error messages. That's a lot of errors to
wade through, and extra wear and tear on both the LISTSERV and my mail
server. I'm pretty good about tracking down forwarding hosts, but there's
one that's been with me for over a year that I just can't solve. Passive
probing will take forever to find him.

I realize there are issues that make this problematic, but there's got to
be a way. How about just grabbing the "expanded from" line, which many
RFC-compliant error messages include?

--
Adam Bailey    | Chicago, Illinois
[log in to unmask] | Finger/Web for PGP