Adam Lasnik <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 00:20:03 +0000
Thanks to the help of my friend who shares my name (THANK YOU THANK YOU
THANK YOU ADAM!) I was able to fix this problem.

I did the following, in case any of you find yourself in a similar bind (I
hope not! :-)

1) Sent out an IMMEDIATE note via my list's ADMIN topic letting people
   know what happened, and not to panic.
2) Waded through 8,000+ e-mail subject titles by hand quickly to separate
   topic change notices from Listserv from other e-mails.
3) Exported the OUTPUT file (announcing the erroneous topic changes)
   to a text file.
4) Used a grep utility to filter for JUST those people who were affected.
5) Used Microsoft Word's Find and Replace facility to add the appropriate
   quiet set smile-l topic:-[topicname] for [e-mail address]

This will now be followed up with a quick announcement to my list letting
them know specifically what happened... and will provide me with a great
chance to remind my list members just HOW to change topics and sign off
and stuff like that.

Just thought I'd report back to THIS list to let y'all know how someone
dealt with a problem like this.

Overarching lesson: DON'T issue list commands too soon after waking up
from a nap <grin>.

Thanks very much to those of you prompt and kind enough to have mailed me
ideas for fixing this situation.

Take care...

 ADAM | Publisher of the "Smile List" (e-mail [log in to unmask])
 ---- | and the AdamPages website w/ RealAudio music, pictures,
  :-) | humor, Live Chat, and much more at http://pobox.com/~smile