Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 May 1998 20:14:00 -0400
I offer a suggestion.  Since the topic of holding and freeing lists is in
the air, I would like to ask whether it is desirable or feasible to create
a mechanism that automatically frees a list on a daily basis.

Let me say that having a daily threshhold is a very useful technique for
regulating list-talk, particularly when such talk might turn into a flood
of chat.  Knowing that only a certain number of messages can be posted in a
single day forces subscribers to think about the composition of their
messages more carefully.

But listowners *do* go away from computers from time to time, sometimes
even on vacation for a week or so. ;)  If the list gets held during that
time, nothing can be done until the listowner returns (and is met with a
flurry of messages from obsessive subscribers wondering what happened to
the list).

Having an optional technique by which lists could be automatically freed at
a certain time each day would ease the listowner's plight of having to be
at a computer to consistently free the list when the threshhold is reached.

Bob Kosovsky
Student, PhD Program in Music                   Librarian
Graduate Center                                 Music Division
City University of New York                     The New York Public Library
[log in to unmask]                      [log in to unmask]
    Listowner:  [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
                  Administrivia to:  [log in to unmask]
------My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions-------