"M. LEBLANC" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:17:16 EST
Daniel Norton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>GET NETGATE POLICY
>To: [log in to unmask]

Thanks for the reply. :-)

I'm aware of the following section from that document but still need
some clarification.

>*** Gateway registration
>
>In  order to  avoid  problems  caused by  multiple  gateways,  a list  of
>gatewayed newsgroups is maintained by David Lawrence ([log in to unmask]).
>This list is  posted monthly to bit.admin, and copies  are available from
>[log in to unmask] by sending the  command GET NETGATE.GATELIST as the
>first and only line  in the body of a piece of e-mail.  This file is also
>available via anonymous ftp from ftp.american.edu.
>
>Please consult this list before  establishing a gateway between a mailing
>list and a newsgroup to verify no gateway already exists. If you set up a
>gateway you should have it added to the list by writing to David Lawrence
>at [log in to unmask], or by writing to [log in to unmask]

My question I suppose is really more like this:

Does this apply *everywhere*, or only to gateways obtained through the
good works of Jim McIntosh via American University? :-)

In other words, can I post with *assurance* a reply to the original
poster that I quoted earlier, that this (only one gateway to/from a
newsgroup) is policy *everywhere*?

As for "symptoms" of another gateway being opened from the newsgroup
that I'm gating, I should rephrase that too:

Has anyone ever *experienced* a second gateway being opened?
What was it like?

Thanks again. :-)

Maureen