"Brumbaugh, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 May 2003 12:27:45 -0400
The list is a moderated list and only accepts messages approved by the
moderator. The duplicate messages are all coming from the moderator.
Although, some subscribers have indicated that they are not receiving the
duplicates, the logs appear to indicate otherwise. Is it possible for a
system to "reflect" a message back and bypass the authority of the
moderator?  Additionally, the time stamps of the duplicates are identical.

You are correct that there are an additional 6 lines between the two
messages. Is there a way within LISTSERV to view the entire header
information, or will I need to pull the headers from a subscribers mailbox?

-----Original Message-----
From: John Lyon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 11:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Duplicate Messages

> One of the lists on our server is sending duplicate messages to
> subscribers. The messages appear in the archives and in subscriber
> mailboxes with identical time and date stamps. I have confirmed in the
> LISTSERV log that it is actually sending the message twice not the
> SMTP server causing the duplicate distribution.

You have a subscriber who's gateway is "reflecting" the message back to
LISTSERV rather than bouncing it according to standards. Looking at the full
headers of the duplicates should give you a clue on who this subscriber is.
You will notice in the archives, each duplicate message has an additional 6
lines of text. The is the additional received headers which will point to
the offender.