Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:15:16 +0100
On Wed,  13 Nov  1996 06:23:40  GMT Helge  Niska <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>Can somebody explain what the following error message means?

It means SEGATE needed  an upgrade this spring. The good  news is that it
is being  ordered today. I  am going  to Sundbyberg in  20 min to  sit in
people's office until the necessary paperwork has been done.

>but why I  get it and what  "corrective action" I should take,  I do not
>know.

You get it  because LISTSERV is unable  to write to the  archive file and
thus process your message, in this case because paging activity can cause
web processes to be stuck for  minutes just extracting a dozen lines from
the file. LISTSERV only waits 10 seconds  for the file to be released. On
a normal system, this is more than enough for other processes to read the
entire file a couple dozen times.

>Needless to say that the so called explanation is totally wasted upon me

But not on everyone :-)

>I don't have  any VMS RMS documentation;  why should I? I  run a mailing
>list, not a VMS site.

But I do. Besides, the error code is translated for you:

>> -> VMS info: %RMS-E-FLK, file currently locked by another user

You would do  HELP/MESS FLK on a  VMS system, if you have  access to one,
for more  information. If  you don't,  you would  write to  your LISTSERV
maintainer.

  Eric