Steve Howie <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 08:56:57 -0400
On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Judith Hopkins wrote:

> Mitch Turitz sent me the following exchange of messages which touches on
> one of my pet peeves, the widespread misuse of the term LISTSERV when an
> electronic discussion list is meant.
>
> The following is a message from Rob Carlson of ALA to the ALA Council.
> Following his statement is the message from Connie Newman of Lsoft
> International, Inc.  that he referred to.  While AUTOCAT (unlike the ALA
> lists) is run on LISTSERV software the same usage principle applies to us
> as well:  AUTOCAT is an electronic discussion list/ a discussion list / a
> list; it is NOT a LISTSERV.  LISTSERV is the software (trademarked)
> provided by LSOFT.COM which enables us to run the list; it is the oldest
> and best-known of several software packages which perform the same basic
> function.
>
> Please try to keep this distinction in mind when you refer to AUTOCAT or
> any other list; they are Lists, NOT Listservs!

Amen to that - I make it a point of politely correcting any users or list
owners who misuse the term 'Listserv' generically to refer to a mailing
list managed by any software, not just Listserv. I suggest they use the
term "Listserv Mailing List" and remind them that Listserv(r) is a
trademarked name.

Scotty
--
Steve Howie                                     [log in to unmask]
Netnews and Listserv Admin                      519 824-4120 x2556