Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:05:24 -0600
At 11:01 PM 7/14/1997 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks. The text follows, with real names omitted, save my own. This
>delivery error seems to have started, BTW, when we upgraded from Listserv
>1.8b to 1.8c. The error message appears to say two things: one, that a
>message was sent to the reserved mailbox; and two, that the message could
>not be delivered to a subscriber at SPRINTMAIL.COM. In fact, as I indicated
>earlier, the message was circulated to the list despite the delivery error.
>Moreover, the Sprintmail subscriber does receive messages from the list
AFAIK.

Here's the explanation.  Indeed the original message was distributed to the
subscribers by LISTSERV(R).

At least ONE of the messages bounced from a subscriber's mailbox.
Sprintmail sent the message back, ultimately to you.   If the problem at
sprintmail is intermittent, the user may only get a few of them bounced,
and would be unlikely to know that a few messages out of a bunch per day
didn't make it.

>The enclosed mail file has been identified as a delivery error for list
>DIST_ED because it was sent to the reserved 'owner-dist_ed' mailbox.

Various mail systems bounce messages in all sorts of weird ways due to bad
software, or more likely bad configuration.  You'd have to talk to
sprintmail about it, a job I'd never tackle.  Just ignore the bounce.   Not
your problem.

Your machine didn't get a reply from sprintmail.  Details follow.

>553 Both To: and From: must be in form of: user@domain

Since you omitted the user name, can't prove it, but I'll bet there is
something wrong with the userid (the part left of the @sign), such as
having spaces in it, invalid characters, whatever.

Could also be a glitch with sprintmail.

Also, the received from a couple lines below looks fishy.  Note that the
machine that sent it back to you at elcamino does NOT have an FQDN.  That
is a sprintmail problem I'll bet.

Also, it is strange further below when "pentium" sent it to
admin.elcamino.......

Is "pentium" your machine running Eudora?  I'm amazed that it doesn't
require an FQDN or an ip number.  Maybe a config problem on your system?

Just food for thought.  And some of the others will chime in, I trust, in
case I'm off base on any of this.  I'm NOT the mail guru that Pete and Eric
and many others here are.

dan

>           ** Text of Mail follows **
>Date:         Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:17:36 -0700
>Sender:       DISTANCE EDUCATION DISCUSSION LIST
>From:         Joseph Georges

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534