Volunteers in Technical Assistance <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Jan 1993 18:04:00 EST
Friends,

Today, Michael Perelman <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>Now, I need a different sort of help.  I do not want to moderate the list, but
>I need some input from others on what you do to focus the list.  How do you
>eliminate repitition and chatter?  What do you do to encourage/discourage
>participation?

My list, DEVEL-L, started small and now has 800 subscribers. I focus
the list by publishing a brief, detailed list of acceptable topics on the
"list of new lists." The description is repeated verbatim in a note to
subscribers once a month, along with advice about sub and unsub
messages and List-related services. When a message comes to my
personal address asking for info about the list, the same description
is automatically dispatched.

To some extent, the content of the List is policed by subscribers,
some of whom are quick to condemn messages that are off-topic. In 22
months I have had 3 instances where I had to intervene:

1. A subscriber posted his messages on a dozen lists, then posted all
the responses on the list. When I told him in a private message to
stop, he did not. The messages were marginally relevant to the topic
of the list. I removed him from the list. When some subscribers
perceived abridgement of basic freedom of expression in my action, I
replied to them individually, not on the list.

2. A subscriber posted marginally relevant articles from a political
cult magazine. The same events ensued.

3. A subscriber posted messages that, while relevant to the topic of
the List, were not central to it and, moreover, appeared designed to
provoke wide-ranging and lengthy correspondence that was not central,
including flaming. I told him to stop and he did. Some subscribers
objected and unsubscribed.

These examples have not changed my preference for an unmoderated style
of List management. I should add that, as for many other lists, "trash
mail" is a sensitive subject for many subscribers who must pay by the
minute or by the Byte to get their messages.

I hope these comments are helpful.

-Rafe-

R.R. Ronkin, VITA Volunteer
Volunteers in Technical Assistance