Brian Lingard <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 11:41:23 EDT
17 april 1995 Ottawa

One thing I need help with is addrressing mail to people on bitnet from
my Internet site.

Mail from the listserv obviously gets to them as it doesn't seem to come
back and I know one of my subscribers was replying to mail which he was
getting via the list.

However when I tried to write to him as:

[log in to unmask] or

my mail system choked horribly here.

I had not tried

This is because mail coming in to me uses
[log in to unmask]@uga.cc.uga.edu from some locations but it plain doesn't
work for replies.

Interesting the listserv docs say it sends mail and checks for accuracey
and doesn't.

I guess that is life.

But it is not something a user should be able to do easily.

If you read the between the lines of the RFC822 spec you will realize
that any authenticity of sender and such is entirely the responsibility
of the originating mail system and possibly of relaying mail systems but
the spec does not require any authenticity verification as is obvious
from the examples in th spec.

This probably explains why some mail systems that allow editing of
headers also ignore changes to certain headers and/or do not provide
those headers for editing.