Robert Ponterio <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 Jun 1995 22:03:44 +0000
>One person on my list, LANTRA-L, insists that I should change the Reply to:
>setting so that replies to messages only go to the originator of the
>message, not to the list. In that way strictly personal messages,
>uuencoded/binhexed attachments etc. wouldn't inadvertently be sent to the
>whole list. I have been reluctant to do this change, a) since nobody
>else has been asking for it b) because I'm not sure that I want the
>change. I think that one of the good things about a discussion group is
>that comments, ideas and answers to questions are really shared by all;
. . .

Helga,

If you feel that sharing comments and suggestions contributes to the
quality of your discussion group, then it really doesn't matter what
this one individual thinks.  As the list owner it is up to you to run
your list as you see fit (unless someone is paying you to do it in a
particular way).  If you make this change 50-60 people might complain
that they prefer the original system.  But what is most important is
your own evaluation of what is best.  You are certainly in a better
position than anyone else to know your list.

Bob
 Robert Ponterio                  | [log in to unmask]
 co-manager of FLTEACH            | State Univ. of New York Cortland
 Foreign Language Teaching Forum  -----------------------------------
 http://www.cortland.edu/www_root/flteach/flteach.html