Mon, 27 Jul 1998 01:43:48 -0500
> I would have liked to turn off CJLI database searches (for my list)
> while continuing to permit the new SEARCH/GETPOST commands, but I was
> told that that isn't possible.

Flat take it all off the "web?" Searching by enail only?  Notebooks
would probably have to be "private."

I have never been able to web search the archives of any list with
archives that exceed about two months. I always get timed out before
the search is finished (that's the web system that times me out,
not my system).  Searches by email *work* every time, and they have
for, in my personal experience, over eight years.  I would far rather
send in my search by email and go on about my business than twiddle my
thumbs for five or more minutes for the web searcher to tell me the
search has been canceled because it is taking too long.

I can't imagine any instance where I would willingly turn my lists'
archvies over to someone else.

Douglas