Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 09:29:31 -0500
At 11:45 01/20/2001 Saturday, Karl Signell wrote:
>Server at receiving end reports "user unknown."  Global delete of bounced
>address from our lists finds "no action taken."  Is the most likely
>scenario that a user subscribed under one address, had mail forwarded to
>another address without signing off the list, then signed off the second
>address?  Any other scenarios?
>
>Short-term solutions?  Long-term?  Can the manager set all lists to
>periodic quiet probes?

First, it is possible that subscriber was recently deleted, but store n'
forward mail (and LISTSERV) processing hasn't caught up;

Second, it is possible that forwarding is being done (as you said), or a
re-distribution list (at another site) has this shadow subscriber

Third, check the bounced message and examine the RECEIVED line headers --
sometime it will reveal a full RFC822 subscriber address

Fourth, enlist the aid of the postmaster at the "bouncing" site

Followup to LSTOWN-L

/Pete