Debbie Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 17:58:33 EST
On October 28, on [log in to unmask], Pauline M. Marshall said:
 >>On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Sherry Beauchamp wrote:
 >>
 >>> But this wasn't a messed-up mail program, it was a clueless subscriber.
 >>> She subscribed (successfully) with an invalid email address, which began
 >>> bouncing immediately.
 >>
 >>Exactly, it was a messed up mailer, that was configured improperly.
 >>example:  right: [log in to unmask]   wrong: [log in to unmask]  If their mail
 >>is going out as uesr when the confirmation tries to return, it will bounce
 >>(no user uesr here etc).
 >>
 >>Possible dumb question here, but doesn't listserv pick up the proper
 >>address (from the from/sender line), and if so, you can't subscribe with
 >>an impropper address can you?  I haven't been able to, and trust me, I
 >>have tried.

The problem arises with more and more people using mail programs
that require that they configure it with their email address such
as using the mail utility of the two more popular Web browsers
(which even allow you to set your outgoing address to anything
you want).

-Debbie Douglass

     No flames were thrown in the creation of this email message.
[log in to unmask]    : May your sword always be within
Systems Administrator               : reach and may your Foe's skill
GTE Government Systems, Needham, MA : and luck be less than your own.