Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 16:57:06 -0700
First, how many owners use that keyword without problems ? That was put
in the list header so users would think before posting public messages
and having to edit the Reply-To: field.

What happened in reality is that users CC the list instead, or use the
Re:All of their mail programs. Now I have seen problems where users sent
a message to the list and a CC to me. I received the message but not the
list.

I am now wondering if some mail programs have trouble with that and I am
contemplating putting back Reply-To=List,Ignore.

The fact that user CC the list also seems to create a problem when a
message is posted. Replied by a user, CC to the list. The original
sender replies to the "private" copy CC'ed to the list. And (because
mailpath ?) the Replie from the author shows up before the reply and
CC...

If that is a common occurence on other lists as well, it would be easier
for the owners of BLUES-L to force the list address than to deal with
every day "Hey! How come I catch an answer to a reply I never seen".

We average nearly 100 messages a day and if what I suspect can be true,
it is very hard to explain to non-LISTSERV literate users.

The change was introduced in the past to cut the noise-to-signal ratio
and prevent "tempered" posting to the list (Music fans can be very
harsh). We are now wondering if they did the list a disservice out of
good intentions.
--
Eric Paul-Hus, BLUES-L