Scott Fendley <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 17:23:40 -0500
Well I am kinda backed into a corner and am running out of time to handle
a problem that was brought to my attention today.  In 2 weeks, we are
doing a mass migration of our email services we do on a campus level to a
new machine.  As part of the migration, we are creating the possibility
(and recommending this) of using a shortened version of our address
scheme.  Right now, 99% of our mail is addressed as [log in to unmask]
After the conversion to the new mail server and the addition of webmail
facility, we have a large number of users that will be starting to resolve
(or have reply-to: set) to [log in to unmask]

Well as was pointed out to me, there is going to be a major issue with
lists that the listowner address will no longer be "correct" if the owner
doesn't do some pre-emptive changes to the header configuration.  In
addition, users who don't listen to our mass spams on campus concerning
the migration may have issues if the list is set to a form of subscriber
only or moderated lists.

Has anyone dealt with this type of massive overhaul and built a way to
parse the list headers and add the new way of addressing for all
listowner?  If not, does anyone have suggestions of how best to handle
this situation.

Help!

Scott