Thu, 4 Sep 1997 03:28:59 -0400
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, C wrote:

> What is the purpose of setting "review" to owners?
> Not knowing who else is on the list could cause some extremely
> embarrassing situations!
>
>                         Trista

Review to owners keeps the spam harvesters from
getting the email addresses of the list subscribers.
We have ad way too many spammers. It was a self-preservation
move. Besides even here there is no way to review
the people subscribed as an exact measure to avoid spam.

One spam harvester manual even says to go to http://www.liszt.com
to get the lists of listservs and to do review
to get all kinds of names free. I would caution anyone
who owns a listserv to that. Some of these spammers
ask people to pay money for a list of names they
get that way.

Our listserv though even wants to hide the headers
and we wondered if there was a way to hide them
using the private command?