"Barbara Weitbrecht, Smithsonian" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 16:45:57 EDT
Today is a sad milestone in my virtual career.  Due to the troubles caused
by the recent spate of spams and spoofed subscriptions, I have set both
AEROSP-L and FOLIO-L to Subscription=Open,Confirm and Send=Private.
I probably should have done it long ago.  I feel like the cowboy watching
the range being fenced in.

                             * * * * *

On another note entirely, most of you have probably seen the notes on
other listowning lists about a criminal named Eric Thomas who is on the
loose.  (Our Eric swears it isn't he :-)  My Eric Thomas story is less
exciting, but I still treasure it.  A few years ago at SHARE I was sitting,
awed and befuddled, in a VM lecture that was far beyond my comprehension.
During the Q&A, the person behind me offered an even more awesome and
befuddling question.

"Yes, Eric," the speaker said patiently.  "That may be a little specialized.
Perhaps you should see me during the break."

"Wow!" exclaimed the questioner's companion.  "He recognized you!"

"Of *course* he recognized me," explained the questioner.  "I'm Eric
Thomas!"

And of course he was.

I just wanted to thank Eric for giving us all such wonderful toy and
tool.  (My beloved, whom I met on the Net, says we should invite him to
our wedding.  But that's another story.)

--
Barbara Weitbrecht
National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution