John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:20:31 -0400
> What is the "best practice" was of backing up the files (the
> specification, member list, welcome/departure messages, archives,
> etc.) related to the various mailing lists, so that we can recover
> after a complete failure or port the lists to another server running
> the LSoft application:

You want all the  listname.*  files in the 'home' directory, this
preserves all the subscribers addresses and list settings.  All the
listname.log* files in the respective notebook directories, this preserves
all the archived messages.

> A. From can/should the Server Manager (unix) do?
>     Are there specific directories that need to be backed up?

You would certainly want the 'home' directory backed up as it not only
contains the list specific files, but the system and site specific files.
Included in those are the signup.*  files which include subscriber's
passwords. Although not necessary, the listserv/log directory might be a
good idea too. As stated before, each list's notebook directory should be
preserved, although only the listname.log* files are important.

> B. What can/should the List Owner do?
>       I tried:
>             GET list1
>             INFO list1
>             INDEX list1
>             UNLOCK list1
>
> I believe I have the file to rebuild the base of the list and the
> members (from GET), but I am not certain if that is all I would need.
> Does that preserve all user information, preferences, and their signon
> date?

The owner shouldn't have to do anything if there is a reliable backup
procedure. If not, I would GET the listname.list file. Perform an INDEX
listname, then GET all the notebooks and changelogs. Then periodically GET
the newest notebook and listname.list file. Also, the Welcome and Farewell
message. An owner can't get the signup.*  files, but subscribers can
always get a new password.

> The INDEX command returned: "This server does not have any file by the name
> "list1.filelist", but I know there is a welcome and farewell message that
> users get and suspect there might be other things set up.

Try  INDEX  listname (no period, no extension)
If there really is no "listname.filelist", then you have no notebooks and
changelogs. Welcome and Farewell messages are not displayed with the INDEX
command. You simply GET or PUT these. If you can't GET them, they don't
yet exist.

> Also, I could not figure out how to get the archives for backup
> perpose.

INDEX listname

This will send you a filelist of the archives and changelogs.
Then just perform a GET  file.name  on each to retrieve those files.