"Geert K. Marien" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 21:00:17 EDT
   I have  been thinking  a lot  about this problem  lately.  One  of my
lists has a bit.  newsgroup.

   I  think  the  solution  is  to somehow  modify  the  gateway  and/or
Listserv.

   I suspect Eric will favor modifying  the gateway, but I would like to
propose a special option that  will mean modifying Listserv.  The option
could be  called NOSPAM, in  honor of the  discussion or intent,  if you
like, and it would cause each post  to have only the name (as entered in
the list) without the e-mail address at all in the copy of the post sent
to the gateway.

   Of course, ONLY the Listowner could set this option.

   As a  prelude to further  problems, I  would suggest that  the e-mail
address be  left out  of the post  entirely - not  just the  From and/or
Sender fields, but all headers.

   It is  up to  each user,  then, to eliminate  their address  from any
signature file they use, if they so wish, unless Eric can think of a way
to munge anything with an @ sign in it ...  but maybe we don't even need
to do that.

   Anyway, whether  or not  a gateway  such as  AMERICAN.EDU does  it is
immaterial - this  Listserv modification may solve the  problem, and can
be used with any gateway.

   The trade off  of not being able  to REPLY directly to a  user from a
newsgroup posting is ok with me and  the mode of usage of the newsgroup,
although maybe not for all groups.

   Improvements on the idea are welcome.

**  Geert K. Marien : [log in to unmask]  (Bitnet: GKMQC@PUCC)  **
**        ListOwner: AIRLINE, RAILROAD, STAMPS, The INDIA List        **
**    (All contents are my own opinions - unless otherwise stated)    **
**         Watch EastEnders - The Soap Opera for REAL People!         **