Gabe Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 13:12:51 -0500
Nathan said:

> I can see how 2.6 of the list owner's manual could be misleading, but
> with all of the other bloodthirsty warnings around about how it is not
> a good idea to get the entire list, I'm not sure that it would do any
> good.  2.6 does say that if all you're going to do is change keyword
> settings that it is probably advisable to use the (HEADER switch.  I'll
> amend this for the next revision so that it is clear that you should
> ALWAYS use the (HEADER switch, but if people don't read the manual
> to begin with, again, I fear it won't do much good.

Since it's so dangerous to omit (HEADER option from GET commands,
and you discourage use of GET to maintain entire list record,
why not make (HEADER the default so that getting the entire
list would require specific action. That would require
using *two* bullets to shoot oneself in the knee, or elsewhere...

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc. (703) 556-9121/0906 (FAX)
7718 Iroquois Court, Falls Church VA 22043-2516             [log in to unmask]