Shahrukh Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:49:47 -0400
Liz Marr <[log in to unmask]> said:
> There is one digest, based on MITVMA.MIT.EDU that has been
> consistently "truncating" after the first message as of late.  The entire
> message is there, only Pegasus is not recognizing the MIME formatting
> somehow.

This has just started happening on 2 other lists: Tango-A and Tango-L,
also on mitvma.mit.edu. It started about 10 days ago or so. It only
affects MIME digests, not the plaintext digests.

Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]> speculated that it might have to so
with HTML option or bottom_banner and "Wayne T. Smith"
<[log in to unmask]> that it may have to do with truncation of "large
e-mail" owing to a historical VM bug. Actually, neither of these
explains the symptoms:

1. As Liz originally mentioned, the entire message **is there**, but
somehow is incorrectly MIME-multipart encoded so that a number of mail
clients are being led to believe that there is nothing to display
after the first message. If I do a View>Source in Netscape 4.73, I
can see the whole thing, with multi-part MIME separators and all.

2. It is not a mail client problem, since it is happening with a number
of them (including mine): A PARTIAL list includes:

Yahoo Mail
Mozilla 4.77 [en] (Win95; U)
Microsoft-Outlook-Express-Macintosh-Edition/5.02.2022
Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)
Pegasus (per Liz Marr)

3. This just started to happen 10 days ago, but [log in to unmask]
did not seem to indicate any recent change that might explain this,
and no other site seems to be reporting this.

I have to conclude that *this particular* listserv is generating bad
multipart MIME syntax. It "looked OK" to me, but since I am not an
expert at multi-part MIME syntax, and lots of people on this list
are :-) I present the following source file. The lines between the >>>>
marks constitute the entire received file. What is displayed,
however, is just the index and the first message "MISC: old dance
records ..."  The remaining 5 messages starting with "NA-E: Pablo
Pugliese ..." do not display. The MIME delimiters "look" OK to me,
but clearly they are not, and I am not an expert at multi-part MIME
syntax.

Sorry for including the whole file, but it's not too long and of course
in this case it's important to see the whole thing. Happy sleuthing!

Shahrukh