"M. Leblanc" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:27:18 EDT
On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Mark London <[log in to unmask]> wrote on lstown-l:

>Has anyone seen this happen before?  Our listserv site is running 1.8c.
>When they reboot their computer, a bunch of old messages (up to a month old)
>that had already been approved by the mailing list managers to appear on the
>list are once again sent to the managers for approval.  These messages
>definitely did appear on the mailing list, so the approval was received ok.
>It simply appears that occasionally such messages are not deleted and a
>reboot causes the software to pick them up for a directory.  Any suggestions?
>Thanks.
>
>Mark

Michael Loftis(ADMIN)" <[log in to unmask] replied (in a message
with a different subject header "Re: Re-Appearing Posts..."
but seems to be a reply to the above):

:Make sure you are sending the STOP command to ListServ before shutting
:down the system.  I've had this problem and performing the STOP command
:before shutting down fixed it.

I'm saving these two lstown-l messages for Maureen. (I'm filling in
on hwy61-l for a little while.)

This is a problem she's wrestled with for over a year, with
"dumps" of well over a hundred messages at a time, coming in at once.
Not all of them are repeats though, so they can't just be deleted.

These messages that come for a second approval are always from
non-subscribers who post to the very busy usenet newsgroup gatewayed
by the list.

Is there agreement that rebooting is definitely the cause of the problem
of repeat messages coming to the owner for approval? Is there
agreement that sending the STOP command to Listserv before shutting down
is the fix?

Right now hwy61-l is running unmoderated because of certain time
constraints in our lives. It's usually a "self-moderated" list though,
and should be, because of the huge amount of spam, large binary files,
etc. coming in from usenet. (... my wife, the spam fighter ... ;-D)

If this _messages coming for approval a second time_ problem were to
stop, it would be a definite improvement in the quality of life for
at least one listowner! ;-)

Tell me that it's true!

Thanks. :-)

George LeBlanc