Pat Letendre <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:01:01 -0600
As others have said, having noreview as the default setting is the
way to go. Generally, I quiet delete suspicious subscribers (taking
note of whether they are on mail or digests) pending an investigation
as described below.

First part of the investigation is to do an Internet search of the
suspicious subscriber's name, e-mail address, and ISP domain name
(google search of the web and newsgroups; and sometimes a "whois"
<http://swhois.net/> domain search). If results are ambiguous (they
are not obvious spammers), I write them directly with a note
something like this:

Please drop me a note to clarify. Sorry to ask but we have been
burned by companies who join and then harvest subscriber addresses
for spamming, recruiting, and other commercial purposes.

Thanks.
If I do not hear back, that's it. Sometimes a person will reply with
a satisfactory explanation and then they are re-subscribed quietly.
This process works well for me.

Cheers, Pat
UA: http://www.ualberta.ca/~pletendr/
TraQ: http://www.traqprogram.ca/new-on-traq.asp