Gabe Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:18:55 -0500
Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]> said:

> I really hate to sound like a free marketeer, but my assumption is that
> people use AOL or Hotmail largely because of cost considerations.  If
> you don't get the service you want, you look around for someone who'll
> give it to you at that price, or you pay more for it.

I agree with the second sentence. But rather than guessing why people use
AOL (or do anything in particular), you might get better info if you asked
some AOL customers (or whoever you're making assumptions about).

As someone else remarked, AOL isn't going away, so it's worth
understanding how best to work with AOL and AOL customers. And AOL surely
isn't the only ISP causing problems. AOL is the right answer for some
people, for some uses.  So writing off AOL or discouraging AOL customers
from subscribing to lists or encouraging AOL customers to switch ISPs may
not be the best strategies.

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 941-1657
6580 Bermuda Green Court, Alexandria, VA 22312-3103         [log in to unmask]