Brent Stilley <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 13:17:29 CST
We just noticed that one of our lists which was recently changed to
Default= SHORTHDR (in order to suppress return receipts being posted to the
list) is sending our SMTP task on VM roughly one message per recipient. I
found the following explanation from Eric in the archives:

 This is a deliberate change. The  bandwidth saved by bunching the entries
 together no longer offset the  user confusion resulting from seeing some,
 but not all, other  local users in the 'To:' field. You  can get the data
 sent as a single file if all  your users subscribe with BSMTP headers, ie
 SHORTBSMTP rather than SHORTHDR.

I thought SHORTHDR was a synonym for SHORTBSMTP! If it's not, then what is the
difference? If I change the default to SHORTBSMTP, will SHORTBSMTP drop the
return-receipt-to headers like SHORTHDR is doing?

Brent Stilley,  Oklahoma State University, 113 Math Sciences, Stillwater, 74078