"Ahern, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 May 2002 12:42:40 -0700
That may be the case for some, but I have a paid Yahoo! email account, and nothing you described below ought to have affected my account.

OTOH, perhaps the sheer volume of chaos precipitated by the situation you describe made my account bounce some mail somehow.  :-)  Anyway, it only happened a few times, and seems to have stopped.

Shannon

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael McNeil [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 5:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fwd: FINAID-L: error report from YAHOO.COM

April 24th is the date Yahoo! terminated its free email forwarding and POP access service, restricting users to free webmail and fee-for-service POP access.  Even though Yahoo! sent out reminders once or twice weekly of the impending change a month ahead of time, I suspect many users either deleted the advisories or simply neglected to make the necessary changes in their list subscription arrangements.  Considering that some Yahoo! accounts are probably used for a multitude of subscriptions, especially in "forwarding" mode, cessation of that service would undoubtedly lead to a rapidly full mailbox with, I suspect in the circumstances, termination of account by Yahoo!

They have made the change due to rapidly declining advertising revenues, now requiring a greater portion from their user base, and if users aren't maintaining their accounts, I can see Yahoo! closing the accounts very quickly, leading to the mass bounces.

In March, Yahoo! advised users to use their ISP's SMTPs for sending @yahoo.com email.  I don't think Yahoo's system is validating account access permissions for ISP or any other SMTPs, which makes me worry about spoofing, etc.  (I removed my password in Eudora for a Yahoo account, causing it to prompt me for it when sending, and upon entering a fictitious password, the email was successfully sent.)

Michael