"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:17:19 -0600
At 8:00 PM -0600 1/9/97, Sally Drake wrote:
>I'm afraid you have lost me Mark.  What is probe processing?

Probe processing is a variant form of renewal processing available in 1.8c.
Instead of sending a renewal message to which the subscriber must respond,
the LISTSERV server sends a different message carrying a return address
which encodes the subscriber address in addition to the list identity.  If
this message bounces back to the server, it can automagically know which
subscription caused the bounce and remove it, even in cases when some other
system has hidden or mangled the destination address.  All the subscriber
has to do with the message is discard it.

Mark R. Williamson