Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:36:52 -0600
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:47:56 +0000, James Papacostas <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>If the editor OK's the message at 5PM but then discovers that the message has an error in it, how can the message be canceled so that it does not get distributed after midnight?

As Paul said, the Site Admin(s) will need to be involved to remove the file in
question, which is the only way at this point to cancel the message.  However,
the List Owner may also try the following to prevent the message from going
out.

1. Place the list on 'HOLD'

   (the command is:  HOLD listname)

this stops any messages from going out.

2. Modify the PRIME= setting so the release time is changed from Midnite to
Noon (12:00) or afternoon (e.g. 16:00).

I would probably do both, as well as contact the Site Admin(s) or 'helpdesk'
(if you have one) for assistance.

3.  A really desperate move would be to GET a copy of the list with all
subscribers (so you can easily restore all settings later), then SET all
subscribers to NOMAIL (so the message mails out but goes to nobody except
possibly the Owner, then next day (to be safe) restore everybody to original
settings by a PUTALL of the saved List+Subscribers.

All of these involve increasing amounts of additional work for the List Owner
to recover from the situation.  This does suggest renewed emphasis on reading
the message very carefully before approving it.  Clearly the failure here is
human-caused, not LISTSERV's fault and the Owner is using LISTSERV commands to
try to recover from the situation.