"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 12:47:17 -0400

>This message was just posted to hwy61-l.
>
>Has anyone who is moderating list ever come up against this problem
>of people subbing via throwaway account while posting from another
>name/account?
>

>>1.  Set yourself up a hotmail account (www.hotmail.com) under a
>>dummy name.  Subscribe to HWY61-L.  Use the account for nothing
>>else.  That way you get the digests (or whatever you want).
>>
>>2.  Post to rmd under your own name/normal address.
>>

>Suggestions? Anyone?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Maureen

I find it interesting that somebody actually had the audacity to post this
to your list as to how to do this sort of thing.  It seems very much like
it creats an atmosphere of confusion for everybody.

As far as suggestions, one thing you could do is filter subscription
requests from hotmail, or juno, or wherever you seem to have free e-mail
accounts available.  Essentially, you can say that those subscription
requests will not be honored and that the person needs to get an account
with a different e-mail provider due to situations of abuse with such
accounts.  (I actually have a hotmail subscriber, and the only problem I
have had sometimes is a report from listserv that [log in to unmask] does
not exist, but, in fact, the user does exist, and I could verify that quite
easily by sending off a personal e-mail message to that person.)  I think
that if people have to pay an ISP for the services they get there, they are
more likely to be concerned with how there actions will affect those of
the list-owner and other fellow listmates.

Glen