Tue, 14 May 1996 21:49:05 +1000
Howdy!

First of all I'd like to thank you all for your help.  I'm an evaluation
user and I am enjoying learning more about listserv's features and this
list has helped a lot! :)

Here are some questions re: topics and the repro option.  I have noticed
that when I have topics enabled the norepro options seems to be ignored by
listserv.  Lets say I have a list called "foe" with 2 topics enabled (eg.
ABC and XYZ) and I've set my options to topic ABC.  When I send a message
to topic ABC eventhough I have NOREPRO set I still get my message...  On
the other hand if I had sent to topic XYZ and had REPRO SET I don't get my
message.  What's wrong?

Another thing is, if the list is public (or editor) can people who aren't
subscribed know if their message was successfully sent (by "successully" I
mean not only the notification that listserv sends if ack=yes but also see
exacltly what the list received in case the moderator changed it for
example; equivalent to repro if you are subscribed)?  This would be
particularly useful if the list is moderated and the moderator sends it
with changes/additions to the list.  I think it would be useful if
listserv could give more control to the owner on setting defaults to Send
related options to users who aren't actually subscribers. How many options
do affect or are related to Send?  Mmmm... ACK, REPRO, and... that's it at
the moment, right?  This would avoid the users having to subscribe and set
their options to nomail (as their interest is only in sending).  But I
guess that they'll have to subscribe anyway if they "don't agree" with the
default!

Also is there a way to control who can send= to the list if the list is
moderated?  For example automatically reject all messages from
non-subscribers (as in Send=private or Send=(mylist-L)) and moderate those
who can send?  Something like Send= Editor,Private or
Send=Editor,(mylist-L) maybe...?  I haven't tried it yet but if you know
already it would save me a bit of time testing out all logical
combinations ;).

One final thing (this mail is getting long now!) why is it that all
listservs lists have <name>-L on them?  What's the meaning of -L?

Thanks again,

Dave

PS. Sorry for the long mail!