"Lawrence B. York" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 13:53:20 -0400
On 18 Sep 97 at 12:08, Peter wrote:

> The recent discussion on the Reply-To: header has enlightened me. I
> think. For non-digest users, is the following right?

   A little more clarification may be in order.

   The From: line will always show the originator of the message, or
to be more a little more specific, the address/person from which it
was posted to the list.

   Now the Reply-To= header field allows you to adjust the Reply-to:
line in the header of mail going out to your list members.  If you
code the first parameter as Sender, you can think of that as being
the same as the From: line.  If you code the first parameter as List,
then the Reply-to: line will show your list's address.  This does
depend on the coding of the second parameter however.  If you code
the second parameter as Respect, then, if a Reply-To: line exists,
LISTSERV respects that and leaves it unchanged else if there is no
the first parameter (Sender or List).

   I hope this makes Reply-to= a little clearer.

Larry

Lawrence B. York
Support Engineer, L-Soft international, Inc.