Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:14:29 -0600
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Clark Pickett wrote:

>Thanks to Randy and Cleo for posting the URLs for references to configuring
>email programs to send plain text.  I was wondering if any of you had
>similar instructions for two other email programs.
>
>One is Novell GroupWise, specifically version 5.2, but this may occur with
>other versions, as well.  Our subscribers using this program seem to always
>generate messages as quoted-printable.  None of them seem to be able to
>find the option to change this.  Since none of our listowners use this
>program or have access to it, we can't be of any help in trying to figure
>out how to change the settings.

. . .

>Since we require only plain text messages, we
>finally banned subscriptions from both domains from all of our lists.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

Well my "main" E-mail account at this University is a Groupwise
account (Groupwise 5.2, in fact) and I can tell you from experience
there is no way for a user to change this option; only the Groupwise
administrator can change it, and that's on a global basis.

Great e-mail program, no???...And you thought Microsoft was bad...

However, our Groupwise administrator came up with a solution...when he
reconfigured Groupwise a little over a year ago so that mail with the
"In:" (Internet) prefix went out as quoted-printable, and this then
wreaked havoc on some subscribers to internal University mailing
lists...he configured a "UU" prefix which sent mail as plain text
instead...the problem with this is that Groupwise "soft wraps"
everything, so unless the writer manually types a return after each
line (which is not IMHO reasonable) each paragraph is sent as one
logical line which various mail programs wrap in various ways...so
it's still a pain in the neck to read, but at least it doesn't contain
encoding garbage.

This solution would depend on an administrator both understanding that
it can be done, and being willing to do it.  Our administrator never
did publicize that change University-wide.

Dennis