Barak Moshe <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 08:53:37 +0200
> Bear in mind that a Word file or any other binary material will be
> encoded before mailing to the archives, making the file considerably
> larger, and it will not be readable via the WWW interface anyway.  In

Larger, yes, but as not as large as 10,000 x 50KB (of one word file), and yes,
it will be readable from the www interface, since most users use a PC and that
will invoke the application (Word in that case) to view the file.

> addition, storing large limited, interest material in the list archive
> could make archive searching quite cumbersome.

True, but that is a price I am willing to pay, compared to the huge savings in
disk space. In fact, not being able to do it the way I want, means that I can
not send attachments to large lists at all because of the disk space issue.

> It would probably be better (and easier) to store and serve the file
> directly from your WWW or FTP service rather than trying to use the
> Listserv file services.  That way you can compress your large files,
> do un-encoded binary transfers, and avoid filling the archive with
> unreadable/unsearchable encoded material.

It wouldn't be easier to the instructor/List Owner, who many times needs
assistance doing things on the web. On the other hand, every instructor knows
how to send mail with attachments.

Best,
Moshe