Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:59:23 -0500
On 25 Jan 99, at 12:44, j c lord wrote:

> I have a hunch that the AOL style of
> listing several different email addys it is rejecting in a single message
> may be the reason my auto delete is not working.

Right. AOL doesn't use the standard format for bounces, so LISTSERV
has to pass it on to you for action.

In version 1.8d, there is an additional feature that deals with such non-
compliant bounces. It is called "passive probing" and is controlled by a
new parameter "Probe(n)" for the Auto-Delete= keyword. If you don't
have version 1.8d available, you'll have to be patient with the AOL and
other non-compliant bounces until you do (or urge your LISTSERV
maintainer to upgrade).

What you can do in the meantime is get in the habit of setting
susbcribers to DIGEST as soon as they stop bouncing, so that you only
get one (or a few) bounce per day instead of 100, or even to NOMAIL --
when they get their address fixed, they'll get in touch with you, hopefully.

Francoise