"David L. Carlson" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 May 1995 09:41:23 -0500
>I find this discussion a bit odd. AOL is not the only service provider that
>has the "mailbox full" message. I also get it from CompuServe and Prodigy
>sometimes. Since many of the subscribers to my lists are AOL, I just grin and
>bear it.

This is the best approach, but I believe AOL holds messages for full
mailboxes for a week and generates a new error message on each attempted
delivery.  The other services generate one error message only.  AOL is
trying not to loose mail, but its approach generates about 7 errors for each
message posted to the list.  I notified my list that whereas I formely
ignored full mailboxes for about a week, I now delete subscribers whose
mailboxes are full.  It helps to keep the error message level down (now I
only get 50-100 a day) and encourages subscribers to keep up with their
messages a little better.
David L. Carlson
Anthropology Department                  Phone: (409) 845-4044
Texas A&M University                   Telefax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352       Internet: [log in to unmask]