Dave Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:00:16 -0000
On 25-Jan-99 Pete Weiss wrote:
> I'm intolerant of AOL bounces and on the first one IMMEDIATELY delete the
> userid.  Often the reason is either for a full mailbox or a change (or
> removal) of handle.  In either case, there's nothing that I or AOL can do
> about it.

Guys,

Sorry, it looks like I wasn't clear enough. The problem at the moment is that
messages are being dropped *silently*. And it's more than just AOL, it's other
subscribers on the backbone.

We have had AOL subscribers successfully query their options while the problem
was ongoing. This means that the direct channel from the server to AOL was ok.
And the way I understand it, bounces should always come back to the
originating server, even for backbone stuff (separately, I'm having problems
with servers using the backbone that have incorrect return addresses - and
their .ie bounces are coming back to me).

I'm not aware of any problems with mails that are delivered directly by
listserv.heanet.ie. And if I got the blitting bounces, at least I'd be able to
reach a diagnosis. But they're just getting lost.

Does this tally with anyone else's experience?

Thanks a lot,
Dave

--
----------------------------------- [log in to unmask]  Dave Wilson, HEA-NOC
HEAnet Limited, Marine House, Clanwilliam Court, Dublin 2  ph.  +353-1-662 3412