"Geert K. Marien" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 19:54:56 EDT
On Sun, 16 Jul 1995 21:32:12 -0500 Winship said:
>Has anyone got a good method for getting net sites to stop sending
>the blankety-blank-blank-blank "undelivered for 4 hours" garbage
>when polite requests to cease and desist fail?  My patience is wearing
>a bit thin.

   Yours?  How about  those systems that say 1 hour?   12 hours?  Return
the mail if not delivered in one hour?

   How about waiting 32 days to tell you it didn't go through?  Or maybe
we have tried  to deliver the mail for  5 hours, we will try  for 9 more
days?

   Sheesh!  And how about 3 days trying for 9 more, 6 days for 6 more, 9
days for  3 more, 12 days  here is it  back ...  "Maybe" (can  you stand
it?) "the mail is underliverable because the "network is down"?

   I just  got 65 back the  other day: "couldn't deliver  for 0 minutes,
mail returned".

   How about  IBMMAIL.COM format  warnings?  Oh,  and systems  that send
back an  ACK for EACH mail  that is read.   I won't even start  on those
that  send back  "Your  mail has  been placed  in  the persons  mailbox"
messages ...

   And, lastly  for now, how  about ATT messages  that tell you  "if you
care to kill the job press ...".  Advanced technology :-).

>I could bounce every one of the blasted things back to them, but that
>takes even more of my time and puts more of a load on the net, so I'm
>not too fond of that idea.

   If it's a  warning, I mass delete  them.  If it's a  return, I either
send them on, or send a log a day later.

>I could delete all the subscribers, tell them why, and tell them to gripe
>at their local people until the behavior ceases, but it's not their fault
>so I really don't like that either.

   Not worth the hassle.

>Anyone got any good ideas?         Douglas

   Grin and bear it and hope Eric is hired to run the net someday :-).

>       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
>                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
>                              MEDLAB-L

**  Geert K. Marien : [log in to unmask]  (Bitnet: GKMQC@PUCC)  **
**   ListOwner: AIRLINE, NODEINFO, RAILROAD, STAMPS, The INDIA List   **
**    (All contents are my own opinions - unless otherwise stated)    **