Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 May 1997 17:17:17 PDT
On Thu, 8 May 1997 13:45 -0400, Brad Knowles <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We've also pointed out to him how expensive mainframes still are,
> how much power, space, and cooling they require, and how many
> of them we'd require to do the job.

Huh?  When I look at the IBM processors in our computer-centre,
box 'A' (IBM 9672) and box 'B' (IBM 9076) require the same 60-cycle power,
both have similar footprints, both are air-cooled, both have RAID-style
disk-farms.  Box 'A' runs the POSIX-certified versions of VM and MVS,
while box 'B' runs AIX 4.1.  The only difference is that box 'A'
has a spare CPU on-board, that the CE can "swap-in" if needed.

Perhaps, you should get an update from IBM on their newer processors,
if all you remember is the 3090 processor-complex and the 3380 disk-drives.
Or, check   http://WWW.S390.IBM.COM  for details.