Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:11:55 -0400
On Jun 10, 2005, at 3:41 PM, Steve Howie wrote:

> Christine Quiriy wrote:
>

>> << The situation is that we have announce mailing lists that we to
>> subscribe all personnel so we can contact them with important
>> information but we don't want them to be able to unsubscribe
>> themselves off the lists and miss the information. >>
>>
>> This might seem too obvious, but can't you just tell them that it
>> is a condition of employment that they be subscribed to the list?
>>
>> Christine
>>

> Even then, if they felt strongly about not listenting to
> announcements, all they have to do is set themselves to NOMAIL, so
> I think education with a sponge-rubber-coated sledgehammer is the
> best idea :)

Changing subscription options and deleting subscriptions is easily
locked out
by keeping the list locked and allowing only selected individuals (or
processes)
to unlock it. Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate this strategy,
but its what
we do on a routine basis to appease administrators here and the idea
works
nicely, not withstanding the possibility of subscribers using a
filter to
move such email to /dev/null.